Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Do we have to be good at things we consider a hobby?





You know when you have a vision of how something should turn out and it turns out to be completely different than what you invisioned..usually for worse vs better, well I experienced that after my first experience painting pottery at "As you Wish," in Tempe Az. My Roommate Kim suggested we go to a place where you pick out your pottery and get to paint it. Well we went, we picked out vases to paint. I picked my colors, had my vision of my design and I was on my way. I took a lot of time on my project for a number of reasons:
1. I am a perfectionist
2. I am not an artist
3. It was going to be used for a birthday present

As I mentioned before, I am not an artist. My painting and drawing abilities have never been shall we just say.. decent. Therefore, I finished my vase and was suprinsingly ok with it. I would have to wait three days while they fired it before I could go pick it up.

Three days later: I look up on the shelf trying to find my vase that I painted. I see one that is painted in the familiar colors of my vase but the things painted on there look like star fish.. just then the lady reaches for that vase and hands it to me. This is definately not what I pictured.. my flowers look like starfish. Well guess we will be picking something else out to paint for the birthday practice.. guess we will just consider this practice.

1 comment:

Jill, Wes, and Andy said...

That sounds like fun, you are sooo tan!